The video below explains how you can determine skin type:
Is your skin oily, normal, dry, or combination? How do you know? In the video above I explain how you can easily determine your skin type.
Why is it important to know skin type?
When determining which skincare products are best for you, it is important to know your skin type so that you can find products that will suit your skin. For example, combination and oily skin do better with lighter lotions instead of heavy creams. Normal skin can usually do either creams or lotions. Dry skin usually does better with creams.
Tissue Test to determine skin type:
- Wash your face and pat dry.
- Wait 15 minutes.
- Rip a tissue into 4 pieces. Put one piece on the forehead, one on the cheek, one on the side of your nose, and one on your chin.
- Observe what happens. See what the results mean below.
What does the tissue test mean?
- Dry skin–All of the pieces of tissue fell off
- Normal skin–All of the pieces stuck and then fell off
- Oily skin–All of the pieces stick to your skin
- Combination skin–The nose and chin pieces stuck and the cheeks and forehead came off.
- Dry skin can be flaky and irritated
- Normal skin is usually clear and even
- Oily skin is greasy and shines and is also prone to blemishes and blackheads
- Combination skin is oily in the T-zone (forehead, nose, chin) and dry on the cheeks
Disclaimer: I gained this information from the Avon Skincare Specialist Training course under Avon University and the Anew Skincare Guide from Fall 2015. Thank you Avon for supporting your representatives!
- Did You Know Your Skin Has Layers?–Brief explanation of the layers of your skin and how they are affected by aging.
- Seven Sins For Your Skin–Brief explanation of some of the causes of aging and skin damage.
- Skin Aging Process Overview–This article is a brief overview of the skin aging process.
- Skin Care Regimens–This article and video is a brief overview of how a Skin Care regimen works.
- Discover Avon Skin Care–A collection of articles I have written related to Skin Care