Did you know that your skin is the largest organ on the body? Your skin also has three layers. The Epidermis which is the surface of the skin that you can see as well as where the visible signs of aging will occur. The Dermis which is where collagen and elastin are found. These two proteins keep the shape of your skin and as you age they start to break down and this loss starts to cause outer signs of aging as well such as wrinkles and sagging skin. The Hypodermis is the inner most layer and is basically a layer of fat that contains nerves and blood cells. The thickness of the hypodermis varies by person.
When seeking to lessen the appearance of aging with anti-aging skincare you are targeting the visible signs in the Epidermis layer or to lessen the deterioration of collagen and elastin and the effects that loss has on your outer appearance.
A good start in starting a skincare regimen is knowing your skin type and that will be my topic for next week.
Here is the video I did to explain the layers of the skin:
Information for this article came from the Avon University Skincare Specialist course and the Avon Anew Skin Care Guide Fall 2015.
- How to Find Out Your Skin Type: This article talks about how you can find out your skin type.
- Seven Sins for Your Skin: This article talks about what can cause aging and skin damage.
- Skin Aging Process Overview–This article is a brief overview of the skin aging process.
- Skin Care Regimens–This article and video is a brief overview of how a Skin Care regimen works.
- Discover Avon Skin Care–Check out a collection of articles I have done about Skin Care